We have a thing for Sonic slushes. In fact, we could probably keep them in business based on our slushie consumption alone. What Starbucks is to many Americans, Sonic slushes are to the Wolff household. But even with Happy Hour half-priced slushes, it can get expensive and I don’t have a money tree, a goose that lays golden eggs, or a pot of gold from the end of a rainbow. So, we’ve taken to making our own at home while he continue our search for those elusive trees, geese and rainbows.
Serves: 4 servings
- Approximately 8-10 whole strawberries, frozen or fresh
- 8 cups ice
- ½ cup water (coconut water is a yummy substitute)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Blend the ice and water together until ice is chopped into smaller chunks.
- Add the lime juice and sugar. Blend until well combined. Add more water if the mixture is too thick.
- Add the berries and pulse until they are even mixed with the slushie. Blend until ice is slushie consistency.
- Garnish with fresh lime or strawberries if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Since we are desert rats, we have made it a personal mission to find ways to stay cool and enjoy our summer, despite the broiling heat of the sun. Making our own slushes has not only helped the budget, but it’s given us all kinds of options at a fraction of the price it would cost to have someone else make them for us. These are delicious and refreshing. And we can make them a special treat with additional sweeteners or opt for a little more healthy option, depending on the mood and frequency that we consume these amazing beverages. It doesn’t get much better than that.
This post was written by Krista and originally appeared on While He Was Napping.