So… how’s your week been? Things have been a bit crazy around here lately and dinner has been less than planned in advance. And the one night it was planned in advance, it didn’t happen. We have been working like crazy to get our backyard landscaped (and our washing machine fixed!) and it’s been a lot of long, tiring days. Definitely not the kind of day you want to spend an hour making dinner afterward. And that’s where this Almost-DIY Spaghetti Sauce came into play.
It was 6:30pm, we had been working in the yard and the sun all day, sore back, tired feet and dirty. And I was out of spaghetti sauce. Great. I had a couple cans of tomato sauce though so I was able to whip some things together and save dinner from being buttered spaghetti noodles.
ALMOST-DIY SPAGHETTI SAUCE
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2 eight-ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large yellow onion
- ½ Tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp white granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp powdered Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese for garnish
- Brown the ground beef on the stove in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Chop the onion and saute in the pan with the beef.
- Add the tomato sauce and mix until well combined.
- Add the garlic salt, sugar, oregano and basil. Mix well.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and let the sauce simmer on the stove for 5-10 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Let stand for 3 minutes before serving to allow sauce to thicken.
- Serve atop pasta and garnish with mozzarella cheese.
Do you cook your sauces in a stainless steel pan like I do? I used to hate cooking in stainless steel until I found out the secret to deliciously flavored meals and super simple clean up. Find out the secret to cooking in stainless steel I shared yesterday that will make you love using them in your kitchen!