The content and idea presented in this post was originally published in 2015 on askannamoseley.com as a contributor post. The text and printables contained in that post have been updated to maintain accuracy and timeliness and have been posted here, as I no longer contribute to that site. You can visit the original “Open When” Date Night Kit via the link above.
Welcome! Are you looking for an easy way to bring more date nights into your life? Do you need a romantic gift idea for your special someone? Or are you looking for a date that will knock your sweetie’s socks off? Then this Open When Date Night Kit is exactly what you need.
This idea will help you have more date nights with your sweetie and it makes a great gift for those special occasions: anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, or birthdays. Or it will help you plan one of the most epic dates you’ve ever been on. Forget dinner and a movie!!
You’ve seen the “Open When” letter idea in your travels around the internet, right? I first saw the idea as something to include in a care package of a deployed soldier and thought that was such a great idea! It has since become a gift idea, even for couples that aren’t apart, that keeps showing up in my Pinterest feed (let’s be friends! Follow me for more great inspiration).
“OPEN WHEN” DATE NIGHT KIT
A Printable Year of Dates Kit
MIX UP DATE NIGHT WITH THE OPEN WHEN… DATE NIGHT KIT
I had the thought to change it up a bit and make it into a date night kit, with printables, of course! Check out all the details on how you can make your own “Open When” dates with this printable kit (hello, Valentine’s Day gift!) and get everything you need to put your own kit together below.
It’s easy to put together and easy to customize – it doesn’t have to be just like mine. So, you’ll know there’ll be no lame dates you actually really don’t want to do.
MAKING YOUR OWN “OPEN WHEN” DATE NIGHT KIT
OPEN WHEN DATE NIGHT KIT MATERIALS:
- “Open When Dates” Printables (The DOWNLOAD THE PDF File makes printing a cinch or DOWNLOAD THE ZIP File if you want single image files that are easier to edit). Or make it super easy and check out the Open When Date Night Kit in my Etsy Shop that makes editing and printing a snap.
- Scissors or Paper Cutter
- Markers or Alphabet stickers (or photo editing software, if you’re going to edit them before you print)
- Tape or Glue
- Anything else you want to decorate your envelopes with (stickers, washi tape, and the like)
OPEN WHEN DATE NIGHT DIRECTIONS:
*Disclaimer: Because everyone has different ideas about what is a fun and enjoyable date, I have provided these printable templates in such a way as they can be modified to fit lots of different dating styles.
The photos shown are not the actual files, but how I have chosen to use them for my “Open When…” Date Night Kit.
The awesome part is that you can make your kit fit you. For example: if you don’t like “cuddle dates”, you can choose any kind of date you do enjoy instead and still be able to use these templates.
Because of the customizability (that’s a word right?), you will have to do a little bit of work for this project. It’s not a print-and-paste project but it’s worth the little bit of work for some fun dates with your sweetie!
You can simplify the work with the Open When Date Night Kit in my Etsy Shop. It has 4 sets of files that will help you create exactly the date night kit you want with as little work for you as possible.
Images of the actual download files are at the bottom of this post.
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE YOUR OPEN WHEN DATE NIGHT KIT
- Download the “Open When Dates” printables and save them to your computer. If you want to type all your info into the templates before you print them, open the files in a photo-editing software. Anything with a text editor will work: photoshop, microsoft paint, canva are all great choices.
- Save the edited files to your computer. If you want to match fonts, I used Honey Script and Frente H1 (the links will take you to their download pages). You can also type out your info in a word processing program (like Word) and then just manually glue it on to the template pages (with actual glue, not computer “paste”) after everything is printed.
- Print out the templates or the edits you have made. Cut them apart.
- Put the envelop labels on the front of the envelops with glue or tape. Decorate the envelopes how ever your little heart fancies.
- Now you have a decision to make. Do you want to do more work now and plan out specific dates? Or do you want to just include some date suggestions and then figure it out when you open the envelopes? Or do you want an epic one-night date adventure you’ll both remember for years?
WHICH OPEN WHEN DATE NIGHT KIT STYLE WILL YOU
Plan specific dates: Fill out the templates with specific date information. For the “When You Want to be Pampered” date, I chose an at-home spa night. After the kids are in bed, or at grandma’s, we can fill the tub with bubbles and then exchange massages.
Choose a specific date for each “Open when…” and fill in the information. If your sweetheart has a hard time making decisions, or actually planning dates, this is probably the best option.
Just Date Suggestions: I posted some date idea printables with date ideas in the 12 categories I chose to put in our “Open When Dates” Kit. If you just want to include date ideas and then let your sweetie choose the date, you can
print those and stick those in the envelopes.
This option is less work for you now, but you might end up snowshoeing for your adventure date, so make sure you’re okay with that.
If your sweetheart has a bucket list and can make and keep plans well, by all means, let them help with the date planning!
Adventure Date Night: This option gives you a single, one night adventure date. If you are looking for a special occasion date, this is a fun one.
This idea combines a progressive style date and a scavenger hunt, without the awkward looking for clues.
Your envelopes will say things like “Open When you want to eat dessert” or “Open When you want to walk down memory lane”.
The activities inside the envelop will move your date along. Maybe it’ll be dessert at your favorite frozen yogurt place. Or visiting the spot where you had your first date.
The date can be as long and drawn out as you want, depending on how many activities you plan. If you run short on time, save the remaining envelopes for another date night.
PRESENTING YOUR OPEN WHEN DATE NIGHT KIT:
Once you have all your dates planned, your envelopes decorated and stuffed, it’s time to get to the fun part: the actual dating!
If you’re giving your date night kit as a gift, you could package it all up nice in a box and wrap with a pretty ribbon.
If you’re planning an epic adventure date night, a simple basket or other container would be helpful in keeping everything together.
But, the most important thing: HAVE FUN!!