There is nothing I love more than a yummy, warm dessert on these cold wintery nights. The scent of cinnamon and warm apples is almost as tantalizing as the sweet treat across your taste buds. This apple crisp is easy to make, it’s delicious, it’s packed with fiber and has 100% of your day’s whole grains! When was the last time your dessert had all that?!
APPLE CRISP CHRISTMAS TRADITION
Apple Crisp is one of our Christmas traditions. That’s my favorite thing about December because, to me, Christmas is all the traditions, the memories, the family.
This year we’re trying a bunch of new activities. We’ll turn the ones we like into new traditions, as well as keep the favorites we already have. One tradition we’re trying is a weekly Family Movie Night during the month of December. One movie we are particularly excited about is SING©, which comes out December 21st, 2016.
SING© will come theater later this month; since we have to wait for it, we’ll just enjoy some delicious apple crisp. Won’t you join us? I grabbed everything I needed at Winco, including the Grape Nuts® that make this a great source of fiber and 100% of your day’s whole grain.
20 MINUTE PREP APPLE CRISP
My favorite thing about this recipe is that it is so very simple to make, which is just what I need this busy time of year. My second favorite thing is that you can make it ahead of time. Just put it in the freezer and save it until you need it. Take it out, let it thaw, add the Grape Nuts® topping and then bake. So easy!
Serves: 8-10 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Peel and slice the apples. Lay the apple slices in the bottom of a 7x11" pan. You can also use an 8x8" pan.
- In a medium saucepan pan, melt the butter on medium low heat.
- Add ½ cup Grape Nuts and milk. Stir until evenly combined. Allow to simmer 3-5 minutes, until the Grape Nuts have softened a little. Don't scald the milk!
- Add brown sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and cinnamon. Combine well.
- Continue mixing over heat until sugar is dissolved and the consistency thickens into a thick sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the apples in the pan. Use a spatula to smooth and evenly distribute across the entire pan.
- Sprinkle ½ cup Grape Nuts on top of the sauce.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Ready to make your own? Make a couple at a time because you can freeze the second for a no-prep (or make-ahead!) dessert. Get a coupon for Grape Nuts and help out your budget a little this season.
ARE YOU READY TO SING©?
Play the fun trivia game because you’ll get to find the SING© character you most resemble. Purchase participating Post Cereal Brands and enter the SING© Sweepstakes, because you’ll have a chance to win the $100,000 grand prize. There’s also the chance to instantly win lots of prizes including movie tickets, speakers and other great things! And don’t forget to make plans to see SING© with your family this holiday season because togetherness is what this time of year is all about!
SING SWEEPSTAKES RULES: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Promotion starts 11/1/16 at 12:00 PM (noon) ET and ends 3/31/2017 at 11:59:59 PM ET. Open only to legal residents of the 50 US/DC, 18 years of age or older. See Official Rules for instructions on how to enter, how to obtain codes without purchase, prize details, restrictions, odds of winning, etc. Void where prohibited by law. Sponsor: Post Consumer Brands, LLC.