The content and idea presented in this post was originally published in 2015 on askannamoseley.com as a contributor post. The text and printables contained in that post have been updated to maintain accuracy and timeliness and have been posted here, as I no longer contribute to that site. You can visit the original “Open When” Date Night Kit via the link above.
Welcome! Are you looking for an easy way to bring more date nights into your life? Do you need a romantic gift idea for your special someone? This idea will help you have more date nights with your sweetie and it makes a great gift for those special occasions: anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, or birthdays.
You’ve probably seen the “Open When” letter idea in your travels around the internet. I first saw the idea as something to include in a care package of a deployed soldier and thought that was such a great idea! It has since become a gift idea, even for couples that aren’t apart, that keeps showing up in my Pinterest feed (let’s be friends! Follow me for more great inspiration).
“OPEN WHEN” DATE NIGHT KIT
A Printable Year of Dates Kit
MIX UP DATE NIGHT WITH THE OPEN WHEN… DATE NIGHT KIT
I had the thought to change it up a bit and make it into a date night kit, with printables, of course! Check out all the details on how you can make your own “Open When” dates with this printable kit (hello, Valentine’s Day gift!) and get everything you need to put your own kit together below. It’s easy to put together and easy to customize – it doesn’t have to be just like mine. So, you’ll know there’ll be no lame dates you actually really don’t want to do.
MAKING YOUR OWN “OPEN WHEN” DATE NIGHTS
- “Open When Dates” Printables (Get the PDF File if you want the templates as a single set for easy printing or get the ZIP Files if you want to be able to edit them, one image at a time, on your computer. Basically, if you are just going to print them all, you want the PDF. If you’re planning to edit them on the computer before you print, you want the ZIP files.)
- Scissors or Paper Cutter
- Markers or Alphabet stickers (or photo editing software, if you’re going to edit them before you print)
- Tape or Glue
- Anything else you want to decorate your envelopes with (stickers, washi tape, and the like)
* Because everyone has different ideas about what is a fun and enjoyable date, I have provided these printable templates in such a way as they can be modified to fit lots of different dating styles. The photos shown are not the actual files, but how I have chosen to use them. For example: if you don’t like “cuddle dates”, you can choose any kind of date you do enjoy instead and still be able to use these templates. Because of the customizability (that’s a word right?), you will have to do a little bit of work for this project. It’s not a print-and-paste project but it’s worth the little bit of work for some fun dates with your sweetie! Images of the actual download files are at the bottom of this post.
- Download the “Open When Dates” printables and save them to your computer. If you want to type all your info into the templates before you print them, open the files in a photo-editing software. Anything with a text editor will work: photoshop, microsoft paint, canva are all great choices. Save the edited files to your computer. If you want to match fonts, I used Honey Script and Frente H1 (the links will take you to their download pages). You can also type out your info in a word processing program (like Word) and then just manually glue it on to the template pages (with actual glue, not computer “paste”) after everything is printed.
- Print out the templates or the edits you have made. Cut them apart.
- Put the envelop labels on the front of the envelops with glue or tape. Decorate the envelopes how ever your little heart fancies.
- Now you have a decision to make. Do you want to do more work now and plan out specific dates? Or do you want to just include some date suggestions and then figure it out when you open the envelopes?
Plan specific dates: Fill out the templates with specific date information. For the “When You Want to be Pampered” date, I chose an at-home spa night. After the kids are in bed, or at grandma’s, we can fill the tub with bubbles and then exchange massages. Choose a specific date for each “Open when…” and fill in the information. If your sweetheart has a had time making decisions, or actually planning dates, this is probably the best option. Mr. Napping’s idea of a thoughtful date is arranging babysitting so we can “go out”… The guy is a charmer, but I definitely bring the creative mojo to our relationship. I tried to choose dates that were inexpensive, all-season friendly so that we won’t have to worry about
Just Date Suggestions: I posted some date idea printables with date ideas in the 12 categories I chose to put in our “Open When Dates” Kit. You can see an example in the photo above. If you just want to include date ideas and then let your sweetie choose the date, you can print those and stick those in the envelopes instead. Less work for you now, but you might end up snowshoeing for your adventure date. If your sweetheart has a bucket list and can make and keep plans well, by all means, let them help with the date planning!
Once you have all your envelopes stuffed with awesome dates (or awesome date ideas), wrap them all up in a fun little package and they are all ready to gift.