This post is sponsored by Nasoya. I was provided with product and compensation, but all content herein is 100% original, honest and my own. And it’s super yummy.
Appetizers can take a meal to the next level. And there’s something about the combination of a chicken avocado won ton that is a total treat for the taste buds. It compliments a variety of main dishes and won tons are super easy to make! You may have noticed my affinity for won tons in the past with both my basic cream cheese won ton recipe and my shrimp and cream cheese step-up. Any one of those are amazing appetizers and the perfect party foods. It’s a great way to step away from the sweets and offer something a little more savory.
When I was presented with the challenge of creating a new recipe using a Nasoya product, I was super excited because I have used their products for a few years now and I love them. I’ve never been disappointed with the quality of the Nasoya products I’ve used, which are mainly the won ton wrappers and the eggroll wrappers. And they are very reasonably priced. Although, my first recipe attempt for this challenge was an utter failure, it was purely because of the recipe, not the ingredients. Won tons are a fun way to bring the treat-aspect of take-out Chinese food home and you can put almost anything you want inside them. I opted for something a little less desserty and a little more appetizery this time. Here’s what I came up with:
CHICKEN AVOCADO WON TONS
– Nasoya Won Ton Wrappers (I found mine at WinCo)
– 1 medium avocado, mashed
– 1 cup chicken dices (I used leftovers from a rotisserie chicken we’d had for dinner the night before)
– 4-5 baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
– 2 sticks of mozzarella cheese, sliced (string cheese or shredded or cubed mozzarella cheese)
– 1/2 tsp lime juice
– Oil or shortening to fry your won tons (I used about a cup of vegetable shortening in a small pan)
– A Small bowl of water to seal the won ton wrappers
– Warm the oil or shortening in a small sauce pan on the stove on medium high heat.
– Mix the lime juice in with the mashed avocado and stir until well combined.
– Spoon about two teaspoons of the avocado into the center of a won ton wrapper.
– Add a slice of mushroom, a slice of cheese stick and a chicken dice or two to the avocado.
– Wet the tip of your finger in the small bowl of water and run in along the edges of the won ton wrapper.
– Fold opposite points together to form a triangle and press the wrapper to seal it.
– Repeat until you run out of ingredients. I made about 20 with the quantities listed, exact yield will depend on how full you fill each wrapper.
– Carefully, place filled won tons in the hot oil with a pair of tongs, one at a time. Use caution, the oil can cause severe burns!
– Allow to fry until wrapper is golden brown then flip over and fry the other side until it’s golden brown. Remove with the tongs and carefully shake off excess oil.
– Allow to cool on a paper towel covered cooling rack. Serve Chicken Avocado Won Tons warm for best taste. Enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. Rewarm in the microwave or oven if desired.