Need something fun to do with the kids today. How about these fun Valentine treats (actually, you could make them whenever…)? Who doesn’t love rice crispy treats? They are quick, easy and tasty. Perfect for kids to help out with. Gotta love a super simple and pretty basic treat. I’m sure you’ve seen the rice crispy treats that are shaped like Hershey’s Kisses floating around the last month or so. Here’s my take on this adorable little treat.
– 6 cups of crispy rice cereal
– 1 bag of regular-size marshmallows or about 4 1/3 cups mini marshmallows
– 3 Tbsp butter
– almond bark or baker’s dipping chocolate
– Melt the butter in a large pot on the stove over medium to medium-high heat.
– Add the marshmallows to the pot and melt. (So, here’s my confession: I totally ruined the first batch of these. How do you mess up rice crispy treats, right? Well, I was using old marshmallows and I think the problem was that they started to burn before they ever melted. So, I was left with a huge, sticky, charred messy, half-melted glob. That was lots of fun to scrub off my pot). Use fresh marshmallows!
– Remove from heat and stir in your crispy rice cereal until it’s evenly coated with the sticky marshmallows.
– Shape into cylindrical pyramids or Hershey Kiss shapes (hmm, look at that, 5th grade geometry at it’s finest). Allow to stand for 1-2 hours on a sheet of wax paper at room temperature or until solid. You don’t want them to fall apart when you handle them.
– Melt your almond bark or baker’s dipping chocolate in the microwave as per the package instructions. Dip each cylindrical pyramid in to the chocolate and coat evenly. I found using a skewer stabbed through the bottom of the rice crispy seemed to work the best. Set back on the wax paper and let the chocolate harden.
Those are fun, but this extra step will add the perfect personalized touch I just love.
– Cut a square of aluminium foil that will fit around your “rice kiss me”s.
– Cut a thin strip of paper and write your own little love notes, Valentine message or whatever you want on it. You could type it up and print it if you’re making a large batch.
– Place one of your strips of paper and a “kiss me” treat in the center of the foil square. Wrap up like a Kiss with the paper sticking out the top.
Makes approximately 24 two-inch “kiss me” treats/
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.